This post contains affiliate links, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase or sign up for a program, I may earn a commission. This is at no additional cost to you.
You ain’t going to be sufferin’ after eatin’ this succotash!!!
THAT, I can guarantee!
This salad is loaded with veggies and fresh herbs and will be the perfect accompaniment to any backyard barbeque or mexican fiesta you may attend this summer.
Cinco de Mayo anyone?!?
All I could think about when making this today was how scrumptious this would be with fish tacos and an ice cold Corona Light. So much so, I might re-arrange this week’s dinner menu and make a pit stop by the docks on the way home tomorrow evening and grab the fresh catch of the day!
It makes me drool just thinking about it.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it is incredibly easy to make and will feed the masses.
I used fresh silver queen corn that was was still on the husk (b/c it would be blasphemous if I didn’t); however, I also had to throw in some frozen as well b/c the ears that I had were just too small. Feel free to use frozen corn entirely if that is easier for you!
Also, the longer this sits the better it gets, so make it a day or two ahead of time if you are planning to take it to a party!
Summertime Succotash Salad
- 6-8 large ears silver queen corn on the cob still in husks
- 1 quarter of a large sweet onion
- 1 large garlic clove peeled
- 6 pickled jalepeno slices + 1 tsp pickling juice
- 1 handful fresh basil washed and de-stemmed
- 1 handful fresh parsley washed and de-stemmed
- 1 handful fresh cilantro washed and de-stemmed
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 bag frozen lima beans cooked according to package
- half a red bell pepper diced
- half a green bell pepper diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- more salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place corn directly on rack and bake for 15 mins.
- While corn is cooking, combine onion, garlic, jalepeno, fresh herbs, vinegar, agave nectar, lime, coriander, and cumin in a food processor until well blended. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, and continue blending until the dressing is liquidy and smooth. (You may not use all the water).
- Remove blade from food processor, cover, and refrigerate dressing until ready to use.
- When corn is ready, remove from oven and let cool to the touch.
- Preheat a grill pan over med-high heat with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Remove husks and silks from the corn. Rinse and pat dry.
- Add olive oil and corn to the pan, turning occasionally, and cook until slightly charred. About five minutes.
- Remove corn and let cool.
- In the meantime, chop peppers and celery and add to a bowl.
- Add lima beans to peppers and celery.
- Cut corn from husks and add to the bean and pepper mixture.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir until well incorporated.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.