Slim Pickin’s Kitchen is reader supporter, and this post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read my full disclaimer here.
Watermelon Rum Runner Cocktails are a fun twist on original rum runners and will become your new favorite summer drink! Featuring fresh watermelon juice and a variety of rum, this summer spirit is simple to make and will wow your guests each and every time you make them.
Is there anything better than sipping on an awesome cocktail while lazing around on the beach on a sunny Saturday afternoon? I think not.
These Watermelon Rum Runners are amazing to bring along on those days and taste just as bright as a sunny southern summer day.
Like original rum runners, this simple cocktail is loaded with liquor so be forewarned. They’ll knock you for a loop so try to share them with a friend (or four) or maybe even a crowd?
This rum runner recipe is super easy to double or quadruple so you can serve them up as a party punch by the pool or while at a birthday party, work picnic, or any beach or tropical themed shindig.
Original Rum Runner Recipe
Apparently, original rum runners were created in the 1950s in Key West and named after real “rum runners” or bootleggers. They would smuggle in rum during prohibition and would then hide away when tax collectors were making their rounds. Huh! Who knew?
Many moons ago I was a bartender working at an outdoor bar in downtown Charleston, and Long Island Iced Teas and Rum Runners were major sellers because they’re so full of booze.
The original rum runner recipe calls for white rum, dark rum, banana liquor, blackberry liquor, orange juice, pineapple juice, and grenadine, but y’all know I had to zsoosh mine up a bit!
My Watermelon Rum Runners contain a mixture of:
- Pineapple Rum
- Citron Rum
- Silver Rum
- Triple Sec or simple syrup
- Melon liquor
- Pineapple Juice
- Freshly Juiced Watermelon.
Items Needed to Make
Watermelon Rum Runner Cocktails
You won’t need a lot, but you do need just a few tools to make these libations:
- A seedless watermelon! Half of a seedless watermelon will yield nearly the exact amount of watermelon cubes you’ll need for 4-6 servings of this recipe.
- Something to blend up the fruit. I have a Ninja blender, but you could also use a food processor or personal blender too.
- A fine mesh strainer or sieve to strain out any seeds and watermelon chunks. This stainless sieve set is the best and comes in handy when making soups and custards too.
- A glass pitcher and set of cute glasses. You need glass pitchers and glasses here because the color of the fresh watermelon juice is a showstopper plus, with the blueberries floating around, these rum runners look like watermelon in a glass! This pitcher is cool because it adds an extra layer of filtration too, and I adore these cute mason jar mugs!
- Fresh or frozen blueberries and fresh mint, for garnish, ice, and friends!
How to Make Watermelon Juice
Making watermelon juice is so incredibly easy! It really is nothing more than cutting up the watermelon into chunks, blending it in a high speed blender or food processor, and straining it into a large pitcher. That’s it!
I invite you to sign-up for my (totally free) e-mail community! I’ll only e-mail you once or twice a month so you don’t miss my free recipes, trending topics, discounts and giveaways on your favorite products!
More Rum Cocktails to Enjoy…
Watermelon Rum Runner Cocktails
- 2 cups fresh watermelon juice
- 1 shot (1.5 ounces) Pineapple Rum like Bacardi Pineapple
- 1 shot (1.5 ounces) Citron Rum like Bacardi Citron
- 1 shot (1.5 ounces )Silver Rum like Bacardi Silver
- 1 shot Melon Liquor like Midori
- 1 shot triple sec or simple syrup or coconut rum!
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Fresh or frozen blueberries and fresh mint for garnish
For the Watermelon Rum Runner Cocktails:
- Stir rum, melon liquor, triple sec, and pineapple juice into the watermelon juice, and mix well.
- Pour into mugs filled with ice and top with blueberries and fresh mint.