This Frozen Hurricane Cocktail recipe is a tropical whirlwind of Mardi Gras heaven, full of exotic passion fruit, fresh orange juice, sweet cherries, and rich rums, blended into a slurpy slushy of Fat Tuesday goodness.
Have you ever had a true Hurricane cocktail from Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans? The giant, juicy cocktail is a voracious way to accommodate your stay while living it up on Bourbon street!
Legend has it, the original hurricane drink came about during prohibition when Pat O'Brien's was a speakeasy. Alcohol was illegal at that time so patrons couldn't waltz right in and order booze, they had to whisper a secret phrase at the door. Saying "Storm's a Brewin" would likely get folks in the door back in the day.
Word on the street was the barkeep had to think of a way to make his lousy rum more palatable, so he mixed the shoddy spirit with a variety of fruit juices and, Behold!, the Hurricane Cocktail was born.
Hurricane Cocktail Ingredients
Nowadays, the classic Hurricane Cocktail Ingredients are easy to find. Light rum, dark rum, passion fruit juice, orange juice, simple syrup, grenadine, fresh lime juice, a fresh orange slice, and maraschino cherry are all you need to make this amazing drink for your Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday Celebrations!
Here are some easy substitutions too, just in case you don't have everything on hand:
- Light Rum: Bacardi Silver, Captain Morgan Silver, Coconut Rum, Citron Rum
- Dark Rum: Myers Rum, Goslings Rum, Bacardi 151, Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- Passion Fruit Juice: Goya passion fruit juice can usually be found in the Hispanic foods aisle in your local grocery store. If you can't find it, use something like this. If all else fails, use pineapple juice!
- Orange Juice: You can use freshly squeezed OJ or orange juice from the store. Whatevs.
- Simple Syrup: Heat 1 cup water mixed with 1 cup sugar over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool then use for drinks like these Hurricane cocktails...and all these other ones here. If you don't want to make a simple syrup, you can always use non-alcoholic triple sec or add in a couple of spoonfuls of your granulated sweetener of choice.
- Grenadine: If you don't want to buy the extra ingredient just use the juice from the maraschino cherry jar. It's just as yum.
Frozen Hurricane Cocktail Recipe
- shot glass
- Measuring Cup
- Hurricane Glasses or Mason Jars
- 3 ounces (2 shots) white rum
- 3 ounces (2 shots) dark rum
- 3 ounces (2 shots) passion fruit juice
- 1.5 ounces (1 shot) orange juice
- ½ ounce (½ shot) simple syrup or triple sec
- ½ ounce (½ shot) grenadine
- juice from half a fresh lime
- 8 cups ice
- Fresh orange slice and fresh maraschino cherry for garnish
For the Frozen Hurricane Cocktails:
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until nice and smooth. About 30 seconds-1 minute, depending on the blender.
- Pour into glasses and garnish each with an orange slice and cherry.
- Drank 'em up and eat lots of snacks!
More Mardi Gras Recipes
If you're indulging in these amazing Hurricane Cocktails, you may as well make the most of Fat Tuesday with these awesome Mardi Gras Recipes!