This post contains affiliate links, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase or sign up for a program, I may earn a commission. This is at no additional cost to you.
I have been sick with a crazy cold for the past week or so, and all I’ve wanted to eat are spicy dishes or bubbling, piping hot soup.
This quick and easy tomato bruschetta bread bowl soup completely fits the bill and worked wonders on my aching throat. Remember those Italian Herb bread bowls I made for y’all a few weeks back? The idea for this bruschetta soup came to my mind waaaaay before that post, and I actually created those bread bowls specifically so I could experiment with this soup.
I’m so happy I did!
Tomatoes, basil, balsamic and bread. I mean seriously, how bad could that be? The flavors are simply incredible, and the dish is sooo easy to make! If you don’t want to go through the process of making your own bread bowls, then don’t! Just buy a couple of bread bowls from the store, load them up with soup then finish them off with a layer of bubbling cheese.
Trust. You’ll be so happy you did.
Tomato Bruschetta Bread Bowl Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil or ghee
- 1 small sweet onion minced
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4-6 tsp coconut sugar or sugar of choice
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 4-6 Italian Herb Bread Bowls.
- 4-6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
For the Tomato Bruschetta Bread Bowl Soup:
- Add oil to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in onion and saute for 5-6 minutes or until translucent and tender.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Pour in tomatoes, sugar, stock, vinegar, and salt & pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil then turn off the heat.
- Stir in the fresh basil & fresh parsley.
To Serve the Tomato Bruschetta Bread Bowl Soup:
- Set your oven to broil.
- Ladle the tomato soup into the bread bowls, top with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese, and broil until bubbly and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with more fresh basil & parsley and serve immediately.