With Easter right around the corner, y’all know I had to jump on the bandwagon and post a carrot cake recipe. I’m pretty sure the stuff is a gift from heaven and was served in celebration when Jesus had risen.
At least that’s the way I like to see things.
Hopefully my carrot cake recipe will be a wee bit different than the other’s you’ve seen on the blogosphere as of late because my version is in the form of a refined sugar free carrot cake oatmeal bake! There is also an added bonus of a cream cheese drizzle because you can’t have carrot cake with out cream cheese frosting, right?
I’ve always been a carrot cake fan, and I’m of the caliber that likes it with all the fixins: coconut, golden raisins, pecans? I’m totally game. In fact, I don’t really understand why people hate raisins so much. They’re nature’s fruit snacks! They add an incredible amount of sweetness to desserts, cookies, biscuits, and breads and help you cut back on the refined sugars so many of those recipes call for.
Golden raisins are my favorite. I think they’re so pretty and when you’re making things like White Chocolate Carrot Cake Larabar Bites it keeps them looking light and appetizing without turning them into dark and dismal, dreary old rabbit pellets.
I decided to leave the sugar out of the oatmeal bake because I had Owen in mind when making it. Oh, andplusalso, there’s this thing called Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs that have been BOGO at every gas station, rest stop, grocery store, and liquor store I’ve stepped foot in since the day after Valentines, and, it never flipping fails, that little red headed boy always sneaks a handful or four into my pocket book before I can walk away unscathed.
- 1½ cups rolled oats (certified gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup shredded carrot, packed
- 1 (13.6) oz can lite coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional additions:
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F), and spritz an 8" x 8" baking dish with coconut oil spray, set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until very well mixed.
- Pour oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes before drizzling with the honey cream cheese icing.
- Add all ingredients, except milk, to a medium bowl and, using a stand or hand mixer, beat until well mixed. If the icing is too thick, add in milk, a tablespoon at a time, until it reaches a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle on top of the Carrot Cake Oatmeal Bake.