This post contains affiliate links. Click on my disclosure to find out more!
Crunchy, salty, savory and sweet, this Cowboy Caviar Black-eyed Pea Dip is an awesome healthy snack food that’s perfect for tailgating, football or Superbowl parties, camping, and picnics!
Behold the amazing black-eyed pea dip I told y’all about last week.
Loaded with fresh veggies, protein-packed black-eyed peas, sweet corn cut off the cob, and a tangy red wine vinaigrette this awesome football food is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
It’s also known as Texas caviar for some reason, but I honestly have no idea why. I am way too swamped with life at the moment to Google such things.
What is Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy caviar is an awesome salad or party dip loaded with black-eyed peas, black beans, sweet corn, fresh crunchy veggies, and herbs.
Spiced with sweet or smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, cilantro, and salt this black-eyed pea dip really is one that you’ll add to the list of things to make for parties or picnics.
This recipe also pulls together quickly and you can make it either the night before (the preferred method) or right before you head out the door. Allowing the flavors to mingle and marry is what takes this cowboy caviar over the top but, if you’re anything like me, there’s no way it’ll last overnight in the fridge because you’ll continually head to the fridge to “just give it a taste” and before you know it, the whole bowl is gone.
Where to serve Cowboy Caviar?
I’m always looking to bring healthy snack recipes to parties or as ministry meals because they can sometimes become overloaded with crescent wrapped whatnots, sugar-laden all sorts of things, and gallons and gallons of bloating, bubbling beer. I love to stuff my face just like everyone else, but I don’t want to go home feeling guilty about the day.
Also, most people don’t actually give friends and family healthy fare during trying times because they want to give them “comfort food”. But, serve this up with some tacos and homemade corn chips and you’ll have your friends feeling better in no time.
Cowboy Caviar | Blackeyed Pea Dip
For the Red Wine Viniagrette:
For the Cowboy Caviar Black-Eyed Pea Dip:
- 1 can black-eyed peas drained & rinsed
- 1 can black beans drained & rinsed
- 3/4 cup sweet corn kernels trimmed straight from the stalk, canned, or defrosted
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 stalk celery trimmed & thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded carrot
- 2 scallions trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapeno
- 1-2 tbsp pickling juice from jalapenos optional
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, cumin, sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Set Aside.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until well combined.
- Add the remaining fresh veggies and herbs directly on top of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve Texas caviar with fresh veggies or <a href="https://slimpickinskitchen.com/homemade-cool-ranch-corn-chips-homemade-corn-chips/">Homemade Cool Ranch Corn Chips</a>